24.9.06

turns out we're all Basques after all

Was fascinated by Dr. Stephen Oppenheimer's Eden in the East: The Drowned Continent of South East Asia, which fed naturally into one of the themes of Luca Antara. His next book, Out of Eden - about the human progress from Africa into the rest of the world - is equally intriguing. Now he's written a third, this time a genetic study of the populations of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland, sometimes known as the British Isles. I haven't read it yet, but there's a summary of its thesis, by Oppenheimer himself, here. Another link is to the Bradshaw Foundation, which has a world map, called the Journey of Mankind upon which you can view the probable course of that trek out of Africa. Now I'm remembering the way my father looked on his death bed, revealing a profile that seemed undeniably Spanish to me at the time ... but perhaps I should have been thinking - Basque.

No comments: