19.4.06

bluffing

So I'm off to Bluff tomorrow. Fly to Christchurch, then to Invercargill then shuttle to Bluff where we are convening, in the first instance, at a pub called the Anchorage / Golden Age. Staying the first three nights on a marae, Te Rau Aroha, thence to Rakiura / Stewart Island, for the next two. I haven't stayed on a marae since the 1970s. We'll be sleeping all together in rows on mattresses on the floor around the walls of the whare nui I imagine, though there might not be too much sleeping going on ... very excited about re-visiting Rakiura, it was a fabled place for me from when I was young, my father used to tell me about how beautiful it was and promised that, one day, he would take me there. For various reasons he never did but, not long after he died, I went there with / without him ... and found it as wonderful as he had said. And ... I really do need to get completely away from here, what with the book finished, the screenplay all but done, the Luca edit within a whisker of completion ... I feel ... dislocated ... like ... bluffing ...

(details of the event can be found here, just click on Bluff O6)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hoping to hear from you soon after your trip. I have only been blogging a short time. and John at LaputanLogic picked up that you had blogrolled me.
The place you were going to sounds wonderful.As if there were a New Zealand withind New Zealand in terms of going to the most isolated place imaginable.
We became interested in the Luca Antar a reference and its probable source as the Melville Islands.
I have somehow been thinking a lot about the discovery of Australia and the world of possibilities present at the beginning.

Martin Edmond said...

Hi Bernardus - yes, I'm enjoying SWARF too. I'm back from Ultima Thule but for various reasons won't be able to start posting for a day or too. B-but ... what a trip ...