6.12.05

paranoia

Since I've switched to a Mac and subscribed to my current server I've had no problems with spam whatsoever ... until last week, when I started getting messages that came with attachments, all the same size - 54.2 k from memory. The first few suggested they related to mail I had sent which was unable to be delivered but were clearly not about anything I'd initiated. I deleted them without opening the attachment. A couple more came, again suggesting there was an error of some kind I could get help with by opening the attachment. I deleted them. Today one came purporting to be from the CIA. Langley, Virginia, it said and was signed by a Steven Allison. It informed me I had visited 30 (yep, that's all) illegal websites, the list of which was in the attachment and that they (the spooks) would like me to answer some questions about said sites. I deleted it. Shortly afterwards, I lost my connection both to this site and to dérives ... hell, I thought, they're onto me! They're shutting me down! I got so stressed I had to go out for a long walk, even though it's really too hot for walking. When I returned, half an hour ago, connection had been restored and a quick Google told me that, although there is a Steven Allison at the CIA, the email is a hoax and the attachment in fact contains the Sober.CF worm ... so, be warned.

2 comments:

~Nitoo Das~ said...

EEEK. This (mails with attachments saying a mail I'd sent could not be delivered) has been happening to me too. And today, in the morning, I couldn't open my blog. It showed the dreaded HTTP ERROR 404 blog-not-found-thingy. I felt VERY stressed and actually logged on to my blog from a comp in college (horror!)!

Speak of coincidences. But all's well etc...

Martin Edmond said...

yeah, I think Blogger went strange for part of yesterday & those weird emails just happened to coincide for some of us ... I think ....